Sunday, 19 January 2014

Going Places

DSC_03411
If someone would give me the choice to do whatever I wished in life I would probably choose travelling. My ultimate goal would be to travel the whole world, to visit every little crane and island on the planet, until there’s nothing more to see. Travelling is such a big part of everyone’s life whether or not one has actually left the boundaries of their home country. We start studying history in school and, whether we like it or not, (take it from someone who so much as hated history in school) we get transported to different ages and places. And even if you haven’t attended history classes in school that tumblr picture you posted of a pool somewhere exotic does the same trick.

I probably travel daily, mentally. There’s so many ways to travel, ways that don’t even involve money or booking tickets. The journey you take on your first day of college or university, that’s travelling towards a new phase of your life. Ever since I left for university I’ve realised that travelling is very different to simply going places. When I was younger and I used to go on holiday with my parents one of the most exciting things for me was flying or travelling by car for a couple of days. And truth be told it was indeed great. However, in the past three months I have taken 8 flights and several connection trains which, far from being exciting, were stressful and nerve-racking. Having to take care of your bags and making sure that you won’t exceed the weight limit on your luggage (which I always do), carrying all your documents and simply dragging around a 10kg hand bag that holds your laptop, your camera, books and what-not is such a pain when you’re alone.

The last time I came home I had the worst flight of my life. Actually no, the worst day of my life. I’d left 4 hours earlier just to be safe and still ended up running for my life so the gate wouldn’t close. There was a tube delay, I had to change trains – ended up on the Heathrow Express, had to pay for that ticket as well, had to change terminals on the Heathrow Express, to clear 6 kg out of my bags because, apparently, hand luggage is also weighed and just went through hell, all topped up with a delay on my connection flight. I honestly remember every minute and every second of that day, from the moment I envisioned myself missing my flight and being stuck in London for I don’t know how long until I got to hug my parents and my friends and to burst into tears of gratitude for making it back safely. When travelling alone there are so many problems you encounter and so many more unpredictable events. And, to be honest, it’s incredibly difficult to maintain a clear head.

However, on my flight back to London I got to experience the most incredible view and I was able to feel like I was still travelling and not just going places. It was quite an extraordinary feeling to see the calm and the silence outside, imagining how we, the passengers of that flight, were just a tiny, noisy spot rushing through the clouds. So, I guess what I want to say is that it’s important to appreciate every minute you’ve got, every moment of silence and peace, because even though you might not realise it that very moment, they’re essential to a good way of living. 

DSC_034410

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...