Wednesday, 23 April 2014

To Bra or Not to Bra?

                
It seems to me that lately there has been a tendency in women to give up on their bras. I feel like there’s a coalition forming against this poor piece of cloth and wire that has so far been an essential item in almost any woman’s wardrobe so I couldn't help but jump to its rescue. At first it was fashion bloggers (I suppose that’s where it all generally starts, right?) and I tried to wrap my head around it; what happens under someone else’s jumper is none of my business. And who could blame anyone for wanting to feel more comfortable? But now summer’s coming round and layers are fewer and fewer and I don’t know if I’m comfortable with bra-less women in t-shirts.

Does this mean I’m a prude?

Or worse... am I close-minded?!

            Of course, besides fashion bloggers, I don’t know if before or after though but debates like these have been and will be going on forever, there are numerous scientists and health websites that hold very firm positions on the benefits/infinite drawbacks of bras. Around five years ago there was a general belief that butter was the best nutrient and definitely the only healthy option for use in anything one was planning on using as nourishment. Then, a couple of years later, a breakthrough study actually proved that margarine was the better of the two and people switched to it worrying about the years they’d lost by eating that poison that was butter. And sooner than later another eye-opening study proved that no, butter had been good all along and everyone should steer clear of margarine. All the while people swayed and swooshed according to what “scientists” were predicting but, so far, I haven’t heard of anyone dying of a lifelong usage of either butter or margarine. Lately it seems that these debates have moved toward bras. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not refuting the possible downsides to bras, yes, sometimes they’re not the most comfortable but I think everyone should cut them some slack – they've been doing the hard work for years.

            What I’m actually trying to say is that I am not against the idea of giving up on your bra if you’re wearing several layers or just a thick sweater or anything really as long as it wouldn't make any difference besides your enhanced comfort. It’s the general “off with our bras, they’re bad and deadly, let’s free ourselves *wink wink*” group-think effect that is kind of getting on my nerves. It’s the no-bra white tank top everything in clear sight vision that’s making me cringe. Why? This isn't the world I was used to. I’m a big fan of self expression and freedom of speech but there’s a reason people don’t usually walk around naked on the street. I don’t know if I want to talk to my friends and have their breasts stare at me.

So what do you think? Are you with me on keeping our bras on unless the situation is no-bra appropriate or do you think “free breasts” (can I call them that?) are a natural thing and everyone should accept them even if they’re peeking under a white tee? I know what men would think so I’m just waiting for my fellow ladies’ opinions.


2 comments:

  1. lol this is hilarious! I mainly don't like the trend because I feel like the braless are setting a standard that some women just can't meet. Im not 100 pounds with an A cup lol and i don't think my husband would be too keen on my showing some side boob for all to see! but i feel out of style sometimes when i opt to wear a bra under a shirt that maybe is not intended for a bra :/

    based on the men ive talked to this is also a toss up. some find it kinda weird when women don't wear bras, when you think they would find it attractive lol

    carisa
    Bunnies and Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...