Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Normcore


I just realised this morning that I have been away for what was exactly a month. I didn't mean to do that, in fact I was absolutely positive that these three summer months will be filled with posts and interesting content. Needless to say I partially disappointed myself and the few readers I have that might have been curious to see what I was writing. I say partially because this summer has brought some very interesting opportunities my way and I am happy to have pursued them.. But more on that later. I am back, and I have quite a few interesting ideas which I hope to put into practice during the next few months. But until then, enjoy today's post!

I am not entirely sure how but irrespective of what I am supposed to do when online (which is pretty much all the time now) I always find myself lost in between blogs and interesting tabs I opened many days before saying “I will read that next” . Last week was no exception when, surfing aimlessly through the archives of Vogue, I came across this totally indistinct but yet so appealing photograph of Freja Beha Erichsen, clad in all-black (as usual). The only element that delicately managed to break up the black canvas was her jacket’s silver zipper. But, then again, even that looked so effortless - perfectly placed.

Being drawn in by the picture (if you hadn’t already noticed) I proceeded to read the article attached to it – “Meet Norma Normcore”. And to my shame, that is when I found out what “normcore” actually ment. I remembered seeing the term all over Instagram, Facebook, fashion blogs etc but I didn’t give it any particular attention. So I think it was destiny when the fashion Bible itself sent a little pop-up suggestion with this particular article. I have been yammering on this blog about how I like to dress casually and try to achieve that classic, fresh look. And when I read this article I realised… I had been channeling normcore the whole time. What is my first choice of clothing in the morning? Jeans and a tee. With a couple of dainty necklaces and my knuckle rings to spice it up. But still… jeans and a tee.

Being initially seen as a trend towards blending in rather than standing out, an anti-style, normcore has now taken over the streets (i.e. Birkenstocks), fashionistas and even designers (i.e. Chanel Fall 2014). And me. I feel that trying to always stand out is exhausting. I would need a special confidence kick to be able to wear an extravagant, out there outfit, and I know that doing it every day would be impossible.

On the other hand, this uniformity and the convergence that comes with normcore dressing might suppress the excitement and individuality that fashion is associated with. Nothing illustrates that better than retailers like Zara, Gap and Cos that are increasingly channeling Celine and other high-end brands. There is no surprise that nothing is probably worse for a breakthrough trend than its mass production in large department stores. What initially starts off as a niche trend, if I can call it that, will inevitably die if everyone and their mother starts wearing it too.

There is no need to feel down though, and I think Vogue fashion director and Topshop creative director Kate Phelan said it best: “Even if you put everyone in the same denim and sneakers, their personality shines through.”

But let me know, what is your opinion on Normcore? Do you like it? Do you hate it? 

Photo c/o Vogue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...