Thursday, 25 September 2014

Sit Tight

Vienne Milano

Vienne Milano by mariadinca featuring a black dress

                It might sound strange but ever since I was little, tights have been a very controversial topic in my life. Every winter meant that, when temperatures would drop, my mum would whip out thick ass tights for me to wear underneath my clothes. By the time I was 12 I had an impressive collection of patterned ones - stripes, butterflies, you name it. People couldn’t even see them if I was wearing trousers but it seems like my mum had embedded the idea that whatever I wear I should do so for myself from very early on. #deep.

Anyway, I digress. By the time I was 13 I got over tights and started embracing the cold that came with my decision, I had grown up. Then, around 17, I figured that I was a strong enough woman to wear tights underneath my trousers without feeling stupid instead of suffering in the cold. Point is, I’ve always had a strange relationship with tights and I believe they can be very confusing for many people: they tear, irritate your inner thigh and pop out from your trousers at the waist when you sit down but we still wear them. When I was about 5 years old, my grandfather came to pick me up from kindergarten one day with orders from my mum to change my tights before leaving. Being a man, he didn’t catch the changing part and we had a half an hour fight (I was quite feisty at 5) over why I shouldn’t be wearing two pairs of tights. I won in the end.

Needless to say, this incident tainted my experience with tights. We still get along but I now go back to them when I feel like wearing a dress in the colder months. I’ve been back in London for a while and even though it has been surprisingly warm outside we're slowly getting back to British weather. So when I was contacted by Vienne Milano to style a look featuring their hosiery, I thought it was an offer that couldn't have come at a better time. So here is the look I created - pretty basic, a lot of black (as if this were coming as a surprise) and a little pop of colour with a baby blue coat. I’ve been eyeing a black leather backpack for a while so here you have featured the upgraded version - vintage Chanel - of course. 

 So... what are your thoughts on tights? Friend or foe? 







1 comment:

  1. I love that blue coat! I use to hate tights when I was a kid but now I love them!
    Mel

    http://girlandthepolkadot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...