Sunday, 5 July 2015

Savage Beauty

video
Artists have the power to influence a myriad of people through one creative act. A few influence you forever. Some creative minds are so fascinating that they leave a powerful trace on every individual that sees their work and I strongly believe Alexander McQueen was one of these individuals.

The funny thing, and what fascinates me the most about him, is that his work was so particular, so out there, and yet his talent transpires irrespective of his eccentricity. It’s very easy to associate extreme art with excess and deem it absurd, I mean I still struggle to understand modern art most of the time, but somehow even the most unwearable designs McQueen sent on the runway managed to fascinate everyone. I know I could have never pulled off living in his mad world, wearing his Bumster trousers or Armadillo shoes. However, I also know I would have loved it a hell of a lot if I could.

It’s one thing watching a designer’s shows and following his career and a completely different experience seeing the clothes up close. A couple of weeks ago I went to see the Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty exhibition at the V&A and I could not skip it on the blog. I know, I know, I’m late as hell to jump on the bandwagon but… there’s really no excuse, I just didn’t plan it well enough. I had had a sneak peek into the exhibition at London Fashion Weekend, which you can read all about here, and I was extremely curious to see it for myself. However, I had no idea what to expect. Beautifully curated, bringing you on a journey through McQueen’s evolution, the exhibition is a madly exciting portrayal of his work. Moving along each collection you come across intriguing items – from lining including human hair to dresses made entirely of real flowers.

Alexander McQueen’s messages can be clearly seen in his clothes, each collection has its individual voice that comes across through every garment. However, not to deter from the fashion, but what impressed me the most was the music playing through the exhibition. Each room had its specific tune, perfectly in sync with the clothes’ character and the message each collection conveyed. To be completely honest, the whole exhibition overwhelmed me. On the one hand because there was so much to take in and, on the other hand, because it was so crowded. We were literally queuing along the exhibits and waiting to be able to read what each of them was, which took away a bit of the pleasure of the experience. The Cabinet of Curiosities is absolutely amazing and I could have spent an entire afternoon watching every single item in there if I didn’t have to make my way through tens of other people.

Finally, if you have the chance to visit the exhibition, DO IT. If not for the fashion, do it for the music, I swear it’s worth it. I would visit it again in a heartbeat if I could. I’m sure that even if I were to go back I would see new things every single time.


You can buy tickets for the Savage Beauty exhibition here. I wish you all an amazing Sunday and an even better Monday ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...