Thursday, 9 July 2015

Zakynthos Photo Diary

DSC_0476
There’s something about summer that I have always loved. I can’t really describe the feeling I get when I’m close to the sea– it’s something in between feeling completely at ease and being filled to the brim with joy. There’s not much rhyme or reason to my love for it but it always surprises me just how much I need the sea. Just writing this I think it sounds stupid to say I “need it” when, in the end, holidays are luxuries. Regardless, being by the sea reminds me to take things easy, to stop being permanently connected to my issues and, honestly, to live a little – something I definitely have to improve on. I actually won’t even try to put it into words, it can very easily sound like a cliché and it definitely isn’t that. It’s just my own little piece of heaven.

This summer is going to be busy and hopefully very productive. But, in order to start it in full swing I wanted to escape for a bit, heading straight for the sea. I got to spend my birthday on a beach, doing absolutely nothing, which was divine. That was when I set myself the 5-day packing challenge and, not to brag, but I absolutely smashed it. If not, I could have even downsized a bit more. Anyway, I started this post with the idea that I will let the pictures do the talking so this would be about time to stop writing.

Warning, it keeps going. I only realised after I finished writing….

I spent my 5 days in Zakynthos, which I’d wanted to see for quite a while and I have to say, I wasn’t disappointed. If anything, my expectations were exceeded. We avoided the crowded parts of the island and stayed in a pretty secluded hotel called Donkey Bay Club, on the east coast. I think we couldn’t have made a better choice, it didn’t feel like we were staying in a hotel but more like we were staying with some friends (in a very up-scale house). The island has several spots worth exploring, the most famous one being Navagio Bay, but hiring a car to see other parts is definitely advised (we were initially planning to use the buses and were told they existed but didn’t see a single one during our stay). The main places we visited were the Keri Caves, Porto Limnionas and we also drove up to see Navagio from above. My advice if you wanted to take a boat to see Navagio and the Blue Caves would be to head down to Porto Vromi, a secluded little harbour, early in the morning, where you will most likely be able to enjoy a trip by yourself for only €15. I was amazed by the colour of the water, it was the purest, most beautiful turquise blue I have ever seen, I wish I could have gone there every day.

To be honest, in the end, I’m not sure what I enjoyed most – all these amazing places or just walking along the beach into the smaller towns nearby and seeing the amazing sunsets.

DSC_0322
DSC_0395
DSC_0448
DSC_0486
DSC_0609
DSC_0536
DSC_0309
DSC_0242 DSC_0285 DSC_0168 DSC_0141

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...