Monday, 3 October 2016

How to Make a Capsule Wardrobe Your Own - Multi-Purposing Everything


Each year around this time, there’s a period when every website, blog and newsletter will try to sell you top tips to streamline your clothing selection. The 6-month throw away rule will stare you in the face with a condescending smirk every time you open your wardrobe and the pressure of dressing with 33 items or less will haunt your dreams. This is the period I have privately named Capsule Wardrobe month.

A disclaimer worth mentioning is that as much as I’d try, I could never have a capsule wardrobe. Surely, I have toyed with the idea before, when I wanted to buy new clothes for autumn but also had to justify getting rid of all the impulsive purchases I’d made in the summer sale, but I have never succeeded in the attempt. My issue is that, much like a child, I get distracted by everything shiny and eclectic, like THIS, going against the whole purpose of a capsule wardrobe.

However, I have found that I very much like to integrate the principles of a capsule wardrobe into my own to make myself feel less guilty when I buy yet another unnecessary pair of jeans. One of the main tenets of a capsule wardrobe is making sure that everything you buy can be built into 3 or more outfits using items you already own. This is something I like to adhere to as well, only I like to think of different ways of wearing the actual item, which also happens to include mixing it with items I already own. What is more, this means I can buy however many clothes I want without stressing about having met my quota. 


Take this top for example:


DSC_0226-checker1-down

You can wear it buttoned up at the front and paired with your jeans of choice for your day-to-day at the office or you can switch it backwards in a matter of minutes to show some back for the evening.


DSC_0255
Or add some jewellery of your choice to bring more attention to the back.

Get your smile on and you’re pretty much ready to go - you don't need a capsule wardrobe to be efficient in your purchases.


DSC_0268
DSC_0267
DSC_0264

 
This post is part of a series of three where I try to impart my knowledge on how to go around the rules of a capsule wardrobe and make them your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...